Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rainbows: Let's get inked!

Tribal symbols, stars, crosses, angels, butterflies, and tigers. What do these have in common?
They are on the Top 10 most popular tattoos list.

I recently found a "whose celebrity tattoo is this?" quiz, and was more successful than I thought. I can recognize Angelina Jolie's longitude/latitude or Nicole Ritchie's angel wings from a mile away. However, there were many celebrities whose tattoos I had never seen or heard of before (Heidi Klum and Scarlett Johansson for example):

This made me wonder: am I just out of the know or are these celebrities being airbrushed and made up so that their tattoos are hardly seen? I know that as a beginning actress, tattoos can be a deal breaker when it come to getting cast. I have seen friends miss opportunities in theatre and film because their main accessory is a colorful sleeve of Japanese fish or a back covered in blooming inked flowers.

When actresses become celebrities, their large tattoos become another part of their eccentric personalities rather than a career ending flaw. Tattoos say a lot about a person and sometimes those that are inked would not be who you would expect...

On that note, as a celebration of the new season I have decorated my personal tattoo as a pumpkin. I got the smiley face when I was 18- though I regretted it at first, I love that there is a symbol on my wrist that is always smiling back at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment