Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sunshine: Dexter is back!

Based off of my "sun sprite"-like personality, I do not think outsiders would predict that I am a fan of Dexter. And honestly, sometimes I cannot truly explain why it fascinates me. With all of the harsh language, blood spatter, and serial killings, it does not exactly go along with "Sunshine, Lollipops, or Rainbows."

Regardless, season five premiered on Sunday night and even though I watched it Monday morning on my favorite streaming video site Alluc, it was fantastic.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Last season left off with the murder of Trinity, the serial killer terrifyingly portrayed by John Lithgow. During the finale, I predicted that Trinity would die while also being afraid of what shock ending would occur. To my horror, right after feeling triumphant at Trinity's death I was saddened at Rita's murder.

Going into season five, my inner optimist hoped that her death was a dream. I was wrong.

The episode began with Dexter's reaction to finding Rita dead in the bathtub. He grabs their son, and meets the police outside. Stricken my grief and guilt the first thing he tells the police is, "It was me." I believe that this mistake will be the driving force of the season.

Since Dexter is not the most emotional guy, he cannot show anyone what he is feeling on the inside. This makes everyone-even Dexter's own sister-begin to question Dexter's involvement in Rita's death.


The entire episode, I felt the urge to slap Dexter into place. I wanted him to explain the hurt he is feeling, even if the had to fake emotion. It hurt to watch everyone around him being confused and compassionate about his case, while he looked cold and remorseful.

Overall, I think that this episode has set an interesting tone for the rest of the season. Rita was the one person who kept Dexter in control, and without her I believe his stress and guilt will take over. The added mystery involving Dexter's past relationship with Trinity may surface, revealing more about what Dexter does outside of the laboratory....

No comments:

Post a Comment