Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunshine: What I do for a living


In my first week of college I got hired to work at the front desk of the Student Life office. This completely changed my college experience. I got more involved than I ever did in high school, got my first job, and fell in love with the leadership development organization on campus.

This past weekend, I have been at a retreat for the Hilltop Leaders. (And in case you did not know, Hilltop Leaders is a year long leadership development program offered to freshman and sophomores at St. Edward's University. Hilltop Leaders introduces and educates students on different aspects of leadership. Participants learn about who they are as leaders and explore the many ways that leadership manifests itself in different settings. Student participate in interactive weekly sessions, create and implement a group service project, and take part in a five-day study tour to Washington, D.C. The experience applies theory to practice). These are my Hilltop Leaders:

 I was a Hilltop Leader my sophomore year, and am currently serving on the Student Leadership Team as the Assistant Director of Hilltop Leaders. Since the semester began, I have been marketing the program, reading applications, interviewing, planning a retreat, and planning the trip to DC.

At the retreat this weekend, I am pleased to see that I chose 15 fantastic students that are so excited to learn. I get to play a different role with them- not just being my typical goofy self, but being more serious and inspirational.

Last year's retreat. Me modeling down the high ropes element:

 The reason that I have stuck with the program is because I love to be a positive influence for younger students, and I want to change a prevalent negative view of Student Life. I wanted to share all of this information with my readers because it is an important part of my life. It is something I love, in addition to being something that I am very busy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment