For the first time in my life, I attempted to make a pie from scratch. Here is the recipe that my mother and I followed:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 7 cups thinly sliced pared apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 egg white
- Additional sugar
Directions:In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and spices; set aside.
In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice.
Add sugar mixture; toss well to coat.
Line a 9-in. pie pan with half the pastry.
Place apple filling into crust; dot with butter.
Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie.
Cut a few slits in top. beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry.
Sprinkle sugar on top.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes. Increase temperature to 400 degrees F and bake 10-15 minutes more or until golden.
Our pie turned out pretty well, and I will now share a few photos of the process:
Paring dozens of apples (while watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade):
This is seven cups of apple
Lemon juice and spices
All of the ingredients
Pre-baking and pre-crust
A "G" for Ginger