Monday, November 8, 2010

Sunshine: Sunshine Girl

In a quiet waiting room, I get anxious.  My hands begin to shake, my foot starts quivering, and I begin to hum show tunes. I bop my head looking left and right at all of the silent, grimacing people, and am eager to make eye contact. I hope to distract them from their worries by flashing them … a smile. My nervousness in waiting rooms does not come from what I am waiting for- but from my problems with calm, distraught, silent people. I distract myself from my worries to focus on making them laugh.
            I just love to smile, sometimes to the point where my cheeks hurt. I love to perform in front of people in everyday situations in order to make their day better. Whether by making up songs with their names in them, telling jokes at inappropriate times, or adding a dose of sarcasm, this is my attempt at giving them a sunshine day.
Most days, I walk through the halls half walking, and half skipping, smiling, pointing, and giving a “thumbs up” to anyone I know. I am sure that passers by probably think I am crazy, but this is my ongoing attempt to improve the world, and to cheer them up.
When I am with friends, and an awkward silence comes upon us, I will burst out singing the national anthem or “We are the World”. Or, if a song is stuck in my head, I will usually sing it for them full scale with dance moves and characterization. This is a trait of mine that they are used to though, and usually they join in it with me.
            I wish everyone could be happy all the time, and we could all prance together through a field of daisies, eating lollipops and singing Christmas carols. I understand that this is not feasible though. I am also constantly waiting for everyone in the halls to join me in performing the musical of my life. I want to spontaneously jump into an elaborate song and dance number completely in sync- the way it happens in the movies.
            These traits go hand in hand with my inability to stay still. If I have to stand, I will tap dance, if I have to sit, my feet will shake. On any given day, I will snap constantly, bop my head randomly, do spirit fingers regularly, and give a ridiculous amount of “thumbs up”.
            I like watching comedies and fun musicals, listening to the peppy Beatles songs, and making up dance moves. I skip through slow songs or sad scenes, and just prefer to live life as an eternal optimist, without a down moment. The few times in my life I have cried, it has been out of happiness or shock rather than sorrow.
I truly believe that orphan Annie had it right- you are never fully dressed without a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment