Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sunshine: What I learned in DC

This past week in Washtington, D.C. was the most stressful, exciting, exhausting, and wonderful time of my life.

I left with a new found confidence in my ability to accomplish anything, and a reaffirmed love for the United States. When I went last year, it was my first time in DC and I felt close to the city. But now, I have the metro system down, I can handle the weather, and I am confident that I can live in a world of politics.

The purpose of the trip is to examine leadership on a national level, so we attended several meetings. One of my favorite speakers was Doug Nelson, who gave advice on interviewing for jobs. He said that what he looks for is the answer to these three questions:
-Can you do the job?
-Will you do the job?
-Will you fit in?

I love these questions, because it looks at every part of an individual. Not only previous work experience, but perseverance, hard work, and personality.

At the Pentagon, we met with Colonel Marcella Adams. This woman was fun and lighthearted, and a little bit like me. What stood out was her personal story. When she  was eligible for promotion, her boss called her "too happy to be professional." I was surprised to hear that in certain environments, joy could be a negative quality.

My overall inspiration from DC comes from the fact that it is over. I accomplished something so huge, and I am proud of myself for having done it. I have never been taken seriously...ever. This was my one chance to be asked "Who's in charge here?" and step forward. I shook hands with professional sdults with fantastic careers in DC.

Now that I am graduating in May, I have to find a way to get back.


Here is one more photo, the view from General Robert E. Lee's house overlooking Arlington National Cemetery and all of DC:

No comments:

Post a Comment