Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lollipops: Cookin' Chicken Fried Steak, y'all

That's right.

The one recipe I ever truly mastered was chicken fried steak. I have always been proud of this skill because it was the one way I felt my Texas pride. Unfortunately, none of my friends are fans of this delicious cubed steak coated in cracker batter recipe that I have mastered. They think it is gross.

In spite of this, I will continue to spread my love of this dish to anyone who will listen.

Here's my ideal recipe (published in Southern Living, June 2006):

Ingredients:

  • 6  (4-oz.) cubed steaks (1 1/2 lb.)
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  pepper
  • 1/4  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 1/2  cup  egg substitute
  • 45  saltine crackers, crushed (1 sleeve plus 7 crackers)
  • Vegetable cooking spray

Preparation

1. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Dredge steaks in flour; dip in egg substitute, and dredge in crushed crackers. Lightly coat steaks on each side with cooking spray.
2. Cook steaks, in batches, in a hot nonstick skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden, turning twice. Transfer steaks to a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan. Keep warm in a 225° oven. Serve with Cream Gravy.


And, why not? While you cook, please listen to this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment