Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sunshine: 6th Street

Being the first of my friends to turn 21 has its perks and its downfalls. The perks are that I can buy alcohol and get in anywhere. The downfall is that nobody can join me.
Last night by older sister and my brother-on-law drove all the way from Houston to take me Downtown for a true 21st birthday celebration.
Since I had never been Downtown before, everything was new and exciting. I saw females wearing ridiculously high heels. I saw men puking in the gutter. There were bachelorette parties and birthday parties. The streets were lined with Philly cheese-steak and hot dog stands. Glamor and disgust combined for a whirlwind of fascination.
As for me, I was constantly encouraged to do ridiculous things because it was the one night I could get away with anything.

At the Dizzy Rooster I was forced to get on the bar for a free birthday shot. Then my sister thought it would be funny to tell the shirtless, sweaty, overweight DJ that it was my birthday and that we should dance together. I was not amused.
At another bar I learned how to Dougie with a stranger, and also learned that clapping your hands while dancing is not hip or cool.
This "Downtown experience" was educational and interesting. However, what I still do not understand it why women would wear heels that high in such a dark place.
Why?


No comments:

Post a Comment