Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rainbows: How I Met Your Mother...the next Friends?

A group of best friends, a hang out spot, love affairs, steady couples, and odd situations are components of a classic TV sitcom. Two of my all time favorites are "Friends" and "How I Met Your Mother" (which I abbreviate to HIMYM). With "Friends" slowly slipping into the vortex of the 90's, I think that HIMYM is taking over as the twenty-somethings living in New York City and finding themselves show.

Though the coffee shop Central Perk is replaced by McLaren's Pub, the characters and humor remain intact.

Ted, Robin, Barney, Marshall and Lily are the new Ross, Monica, Chandler, Rachel, Phoebe, and Joey. These eleven characters are not extremely similar, but I believe that HIMYM will be this generation's "Friends."

I was too young to watch most if "Friends" when it originally aired, but now own all ten seasons and continually watch all of them. I have become equally obsessed with watching rounds of HIMYM.

Both have characters dating each other (Rachel dates Ross and Joey; Robin dates Ted and Barney) and have the token "meant for each other" couple (Monica and Chandler; Lily and Marshall).

Throughout the seasons, the characters date, make mistakes, fight, and most importantly, create a ton of catchphrases and iconic sayings.

"Friends" has: "How you doin'?" "OH MY GOD" and "Could I be any more ___?"

While HIMYM has: "Awesome", "Suit up," "Legen....wait for it...dary" and "Slap bet!"

Both are important and hilarious in their own way, and I hope that HIMYM can become as wonderful as "Friends" was and still is.

Inspiration: "When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."

No comments:

Post a Comment