Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Rainbows: Theatre at its...

I will preface this review by stating that when I went to see this production of The Laramie Project: Ten Years Later, I had a free ticket and two of my best friends were acting in the play.

In spite of both those factors, it was still one of the worst theatrical experiences of my life (and I have seen a lot of high school theatre). This play was not the real Laramie Project, which is an excellent and moving show about the murder of gay University of Wyoming student Matthew Shepard. Rather, it is another set of interviews and stories from ten years after this crime.

The play began awkwardly, with blue lights coming up and weird beeping noises playing for a minute before anyone enters. I began to feel like I was about to watch an IMAX film about oceans.

Once the acting started, I realized that this play is like having the newspaper read out loud for two hours. The 16 actors play multiple characters, interview each other, and speak direct quotes from citizens of Laramie. The actors stand in place with little movement just quoting interviews from the past. Even the character of the narrator (played by Jackie Harper, my roommate) was unnecessary. She was forced to introduce each character by name before they entered. It seemed strange since this was a live action play and not some form of staged reading.


I do not know who is to blame for this production- the director, the writers, or the actors. All I know is that this is two hours I wish I had back in my life. 




If you are at all interested in seeing this production, or want to give away $20, it will be running for another two weeks. Here is the website: http://www.nxnwtheatre.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment