Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sunshine: Avant-Garde Awareness

Picture 15 college students meeting weekly to discuss life, political issues, and personal stories with the goal of creating art. This is Avant-Garde Awareness, a Brown Scholar project created with the curiosity of seeing what performance and art that students can create together over the course of a year.

The first meeting began in August, where students discussed the thought provoking (and slightly morbid) question, "What would you do if you had one day left to live?" The next week, students brought in their creations including poems, paintings, songs, and monologues.

This past week, the question was, "What ten things would you want people to know about you in 100 years?" I took this question to be my personal advice from the beyond, and would like to share them now:

1. It is very possible to be happy all the time…learn to let go of bad days or mean people or stresses and take in the wonderful things in life.
2. During my life I wondered, “if I was not told what is good or bad, ugly or beautiful and if I was not exposed to prejudice and ignorance, would it be possible for me to love everyone and everything?”
3. It is ok to never act your age. In fact, I think that it is an admirable quality to have the energy of a 5 year old and mind of a 60 year old.
4. My friends get me through everything.
5. Genuineness is the one thing I truly strived for.
6. Adding alcohol to some events is like adding an exclamation point to the day. But do not overuse this to an inappropriate level.
7. Anyone can be a morning person like me, just tell yourself that you have to get up and that it is going to be a wonderful day!
8. I always ate what made me happy and tried not to care too much about my body…just keep it in control.
9. Be aware of making fun of others…if they are not laughing back then it is not fun and you are just hurting them.
10. There is nothing wrong with looking at the past- all I ever wanted was for someone to ask me to “go steady.”


How would you answer this question?

No comments:

Post a Comment